Wednesday 23 December 2009

Single Sport Vs Multi Sport

Having just come off a pretty intensive couple of seasons where I have been focusing on Triathlon (Swim, Bike & Run), I have now narrowed my attention to just one element of the Triathlon, the bike. Considering that I was injured recently, and off the bike for the best part of 7 weeks, during which time I lost a lot of muscle mass and a bit of fitness (mostly endurance and strength), I can now admit that a fairly well structured 5 weeks of training has almost got me back to the point just before I got injured.
So what is the relevance of the Triathlon intro? Well I do recall how frustrating to be only doing 3 or 4 sessions of each discipline per week, while trying to fit in Weights sessions (3-5 per week), stretching, and core stability, not to mention the more important issues such as family and work. It is almost imposible to get sufficient rest and recovery as a age-grouper with the above commitments. Thus, I say frustrating because I was trying to get myself to the standard of a very good road/TT cyclist, a very good marathon runner and a very good long-distance swimmer, and then be good at putting it altogether, none of which I think I did too well. Okay I am being harsh on myself. I did really well at the swimming, and the biking, and the running let me down somewhat, at least in IM Switzerland that was the case. So what is the noicable difference this year, well I truly believe (yet to do some testing - that joy comes in 3 weeks time!!) that I have made huge gains on the bike over the last 5 weeks simply from the amount of time spent in the saddle. I acknowledge that I need to get in the long 5-6hour rides from now on, but that will come. And the fact that I am commuting to work 3-4 days a week really helps, especially if I throw in an extra loop on the way home to clock another 10-20 miles. Now clearly my swimming and running have gone completely to pot, and the focus is on the RAAM, and I accept that....for the moment!!

My goal at the end of the Tri season this year was to improve on the bike. I can safely say that I will be feeling really strong and fit by the end of the 2010 season, at least on the bike. Throw in a few long distance Sportives, some TTs, and a some racing and I will be in great condition. Prehaps there is a cyclist in me yet!Then the frustration of having neglected the swim and run sets in!!! Aaaaargh!!! Oh to be a full-time athlete!!

2 comments:

  1. Pete. This season I was forced to just ride bike TTs. Once i couldn't run, I didn't see the need to swim either. So, it was bike bike bike. My TT times tumbled (21:23 10 mile TT and 55:49 25 mile TT) Not super fast but a big improvement. So stick with it mate and enjoy the specificity that will no doubt bring you speed. You are young enough to get back into Tri. . . . if you want to?! Train well dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Sags. I recall you talking about your progress this year. You certainly seem to be reaping the benefits. Keep up the good work, I reckon I have a fair way to go to catch you up!!

    ReplyDelete