Sunday 20 December 2009

Single Leg Spinning

No it is not the latest episode of Strictly, and well done to our Sports Man from the BBC for winning BTW. And it is not about figure skating either. Today Pedro was back on the Turbo again!!! It was snowing outside and too icy and slippery on the roads to consider venturing out, so confined to the garage once again to consider the possibilities of injecting a lot of creativity into the session to make sure I did not die of boredom in there! Having sustained 3 crashes on the bike this year, I have had my fill of gravel rash for the moment!
The Tunes were on, however given that I have done about 6 hours on the turbo this week, I am getting to the end of my 'Training Playlist' and may have to resort to listening to the 'mad' (That's....Mike Alpha Delta) Michel Thomas teaching me French!! So non!! Single leg spins (SLS) of between 20-60 secs each after a good warm up, followed by 3mins of steady spinning averaging 190-220W and HR 135-141BPM. I had not done the SLS since my turbo season last year when I was training for Ironman. So I found that the 60sec efforts were pretty tough, and no matter how much I concentrated on a smooth pedalling action, I could still hear the odd 'clunk' as I forced the pedal over, identifying some deadspots in my technique.
So having taken 7 weeks of in Oct/Nov due to injury sessions like these are still part of the rehab process. It is reckoned (Source: Peak Performance Online - not sure how reliable that is as a scientific journal either)that for every week off with injury, it typically takes around 3 weeks for an athlete to regain the form and fitness he had pre-injury. So for me it is slowly slowly and lots of patience to build up the smaller tissues at the muscle insertion points, the ligaments and tendons wherever possible; then I will start to generate some power (I hope!!).
Forecast is that the snow is here for a few more days, so I could easily see myself in the garage before Wed!!! Bring it on he says, and here's to Michel Thomas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment