Thursday 3 December 2009

Back again!!

I have re-discovered the ability to blog!!
I realise that I have not blogged since April and that a lot has happened since then. I competed in Ironman Switzerland in July which was not the race of a lifetime, although it felt like a lifetime and a painful one at that!! I vowed that 'never again' (yes yes I sound a little like Mr Iain Paisley when I say those immortal words and I am sure my dad would be rolling his eyes right now!!) would I compete in another Ironman. So with that in mind I set myself another wee task!! To race across America!!!
The seed had already been planted before IM Switzerland when someone dropped in the idea of competing in the Race Across America (The RAAM - said with a long Texas drawl to make it sound like it will be 3000miles long too!!). Before getting the planning under way I raced on home soil in Ireland for the first time since my school boy mentor Kev Morgan (legend in triathlon in the 80s and 90s) first introduced me to the sport. I was up against one of my old swimming buddies Alistar Duffield, himself an accomplished Ironman of many races!! Needless to say the clocks were well and truly turned back, and the placings had not changed since the olden days of Leander when Alistar used to kick my ass!! He crossed the line in first place and a fitting tribute to the sheer fitness of the man, with myself a few minutes down in second place.

No comments:

Post a Comment