Saturday 13 March 2010

What do you tell your 4-yr old son when he says "I want to do the RAAM with you Daddy"


Twice now, my son Fraser has asked if he could join me on the Race Across America. How do you tell a 4yr old that he can't come. His eyes light up when he asks the questions, in the hope that I will be saying 'yes'. Why would he think anything else? America is just a small blob on a pictorial map, so why would it be so hard to ride across a map??!! Seems like a sensible question you would think. Such is the purity of a 4yr old's thoughts and the strength of his desire to be with his dad, it is a true inspiration, and that is understating the power of that inspiration and influence.
I will dedicate this race to Fraser, who is the happiest boy in the world, who is the best in every way. He believes he can do the RAAM at 4yrs old. It is my responsibility to try and nurture that motivation, that determination to do the toughest of races on the planet. He has the ultimate belief that he can do anything on the planet, effortlessly and easily. Let's embrace that desire, encourage it, and help it grow. Someone once said that "you are never too young to have a happy childhood". Fraser is in the midst of a happy childhood, and life is great.

Fraser, one day we will do the RAAM together, and share that dream and bliss as Father and Son, finishing the world's toughest ultra-endurance event.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! My goal at 4 years old was to climb higher up the apple tree than you, this boy is going far! And I bet he'll be faster than his daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes he has the belief that he can do anything, and I mean anything!! What a star!! :-)

    ReplyDelete