Tuesday 9 March 2010

Recovery Fuel



I had a great week on the two-wheeled treader last week for lots of reasons. The weather was mild (not warm) and that enabled a fair few miles to be clocked up in the great outdoors. 210 miles to be precise. The sun came out which cheered up the nation no end, and I was met at the end of a long day (70 miles) with the best possible (well therein lies a debate) recovery fuel, the Great British Fish 'n' Chips in a wrapper.

Not only does the smell conjure up mouthwatering images of splashing lots of salt and vinegar all over the recently-fried chips, but the taste of hot freshly-cooked fish when I had been out in the cold for 3 hours, was almost indescribable. Now clearly from a Sports Science perspective the content of said Fish N Chips may not have been the type of food a strict nutritionist may prescribe, however I did supplement it with a High Protein Energy Drink (brand shall remain unnamed) to even the balance a little. I must stress that this is not a typical recovery fuel for yours truly, however it does highlight the fact that occasionally the body simply craves the strangest of things when blood sugar levels may be low, and after prolonged exercise.
I am not sure how many long distance triathletes and cyclists are out there that have pedalled past a bakery in the early hours of the morning to smell the sweet smell of freshly baked bread, and may have felt the urge to buy the odd crusty loaf. In fact, on my normal commute there is a very popular butcher's shop that sells hot bacon sandwiches for breakfast! That smell almost forces you to stop and indulge!!
I can recall finishing an Ironman Event, and whilst I was capable of holding things down, the only thought I had was of savoury food! And lots of it! Surely the body must be telling us something. And as all good athletes we listen to our bodies, right?!

My triathlon coach used to say: "Pete, everything in moderation, including moderation". Fish 'n' chips (light on the chips) does not go amiss from time to time, and life is for enjoying the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment