Monday 15 February 2010

How Many Days Until the RAAM Now??

I am getting well and truly stuck into a solid training regime again. I have made a commitment to ensuring I am getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, as opposed to what was becoming a customary 5 hrs a night. I have to say that the additional 2 hours of sleep is making a huge difference to motivation, mood, the intensity at which I can train, the volume of training I can absorb and also my ability to recover (most importantly).
Last week I started to introduce training slowly again: I did 3 hours in the gymnasium doing strength and conditioning work including lots of stretching; 9.5hrs on the bike and one hour in the pool. I quickly realised that the break from swimming has taken its toll on my pool fitness. I felt fine for the first 1000m, after that my forearms, hands, triceps and shoulders were all feeling the burn. I stopped after 1500m which was a good point at which to stop, for fear of completely demolalising myself.
I got out for 5hours on biking on Sunday and clocked up about 85miles or so. I seem to be having a battery functionality issue with bike accessories. A fantastic bike light putting out 900 lumens failed on me and I had to resort to a town commuting light. Not good given that the roads are now full of potholes and it is essential to be able to see them on the commute home. I am awaiting the delivery of an Exposure Joystick as a replacement. My speedo battery has failed as well, so I have very little feedback on the bike apart from how my legs are feeling. Who needs gadgets??
All-in-all a good productive week back on the road and on course for a good RAAM in a few months time. How many days is it??? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment